So be sure when you step. You step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.

Monday, October 8, 2012

Xterra Estrella Race Report and Then Some

There have been blog postings that I've wanted to posted but it is getting exceedingly hard finding the time to write.  The most reasonable time is after the kids go to bed - but I think I have been honest about my questionable taste of television and my continued devotion to certain shows - so that hour before bed that most would perceive as "free time" is actually very busy.

I have not been doing any training but managed to pull out a win at the first Xterra trail race of the season yesterday.  Unlike road running, trail running isn't so much about speed as it is about skill.  It's perhaps more like cycling in that cardiovascular ability only accounts for half the sport - the other half is experience and technique.  There were quite a few falls yesterday, including the men's winner who fell twice.  It's part of the sport, since there are lots of loose rocks to slip on.  Perhaps the biggest mistake though is not lifting the feet enough because there is always one rock, and usually its a small rock, that is sticking up a little higher than the rest.

I knew within the first minute of the race that I was going to win  because it was such a slow start.  But I didn't know that I was going to win by 4 minutes!  Only 3 men beat me out of around 140 participants.  I won a cup.  This is my 4th Xterra beer mug.

After a trail race, I always think, "Trail running is so much fun!  Why do I bother road running?"  But, if given the opportunity, I always opt to trail run.  Sometimes though there is just not enough to drive to the trails.  Which brings me back to my original complaint - there is not enough time in a day.

At least the weather is cooling - my life changes drastically in the fall when I can go outside past 9am.  Not only can I start trail running again, I can start running with my kids again.

Although the definition of "running" is changing as they get older - 5 mile runs are now 2 mile runs.  Our 8 min/mile pace is now almost a 9 min/mile pace.  Also, I no longer get to pick the route.  

For example, on Saturday.  I chose to run to a garage sale.

Admittedly, it was a sub-par sale, but it could have been the grandest garage sale and Hayden would have still demanded to go see the cow.  And we did go see the cow.

But then he wanted to go see a goat.
And a pig.
And a sheep.

He was equally unsatisfied the weekend prior when I ran us to Walgreens.  I don't think he realized that the bags that surrounded us were filled with candy.

We didn't buy any candy though.
We bought a bloody foot that was on clearance!  And I swear Brenna has on shorts.



No comments:

Post a Comment